Network analysis tools?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Gregor

Network analysis tools?

Post by Gregor »

Does AmigaOS 4.1 include any intelligent tool(s) for analysing network problems? Or is there some good and intuitive third party tool for that purpose? I am not at all an expert, thus it should be able to give the results in a simple and understandable form.

I have some inexplicable problems with my router (A-Link WNAPc 3G) which I cannot solve by myself. Occasionally, and ALWAYS immediately after booting, I cannot get to the net from any Amiga software (Yam, browsers...), but strangely, however, I can ALWAYS connect to the router itself and its settings, and it's report page which states that the network is ok and the modem is connected normally to my operator. Rebooting merely Amiga, or closing/restarting the network (RoadShow) NEVER corrects the problem. Only rebooting the router helps, sometimes several reboots are needed... Changing the ethernet cable did not help either. I am using X-Surf3c ethernet card and the latest driver for it.

BTW, does OS 4.1 have already direct support for 3G modems (USB), like Huawei E367? (Getting rid of the router would naturally be the best solution!-)
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Network analysis tools?

Post by nbache »

Gregor wrote:Does AmigaOS 4.1 include any intelligent tool(s) for analysing network problems? Or is there some good and intuitive third party tool for that purpose? I am not at all an expert, thus it should be able to give the results in a simple and understandable form.
Not really, to the best of my knowledge. There is a TCPDump command, but that is hardly a tool for the non-expert, and also it is more useful for debugging packet exchange between the ends of an already established connection, not for working out why you can't connect (although there is often a blurry zone between the two).
I have some inexplicable problems with my router (A-Link WNAPc 3G) which I cannot solve by myself. Occasionally, and ALWAYS immediately after booting, I cannot get to the net from any Amiga software (Yam, browsers...), but strangely, however, I can ALWAYS connect to the router itself and its settings, and it's report page which states that the network is ok and the modem is connected normally to my operator.
Have you tried using ping to any known external address, first with hostname, then with its IP address? If the former fails, but the latter succeeds, your problem lies in your DNS settings (the fourth subpage in Prefs/Internet). Perhaps you only have one DNS server specified, and that one is flaky and sometimes slow to respond or something? Just an idea of something fairly easily checked.

Best regards,

Niels
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

nbache wrote:Have you tried using ping to any known external address, first with hostname, then with its IP address? If the former fails, but the latter succeeds, your problem lies in your DNS settings (the fourth subpage in Prefs/Internet). Perhaps you only have one DNS server specified, and that one is flaky and sometimes slow to respond or something? Just an idea of something fairly easily checked.
Thank you, Niels :) ! That was an excellent piece of advice... I had not noticed that 'Ping' command before. I can indeed ping succesfully IP adresses, only hostnames stay silent.

In Prefs/Internet I have no DNS specified, but when I start Roadshow it tells that a DNS server is defined (the address is the same as the routers fixed IP address). In the router's WAN-settings the default is to obtain the DNS automatically (don't know from where or how), but there is also an option to define manually three addresses.

The questions is now, what to put in there? Are these DNS servers universal, or should I try to find some local ones, or are they even operator specific? (Cannot contact the operator yet as it is sunday). And should I put these also in Prefs/Internet, or maybe only in there?

Regards,

Gregor
gazelle

Post by gazelle »

I'm using the public google DNS: 8.8.8.8 (very easy to remember).
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Normally, your ISP will run - or recommend - one or a few DNS servers, so those would be the ones to use. You can add as many as you want, I have my router as the first one, then the two my ISP (TDC) specifies. I could also have added the Google one if I wanted, before or after the other two. I'd recommend having the router first, as it is the most local one, so if it has the address you want, it should be able to resolve it the fastest - in theory, at least ;-).

Best regards,

Niels