Are extenal drves compatible with AmigaOS?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Are extenal drves compatible with AmigaOS?

Post by Hypex »

Hello.

A friend recently bought an external harddisk. But when he tried to connect it on the USB port he just got one of those icons where it was trying to mount but couldn't. I suspect it was using NTFS. Would this be the case? It was a 1TGB drive.

After speaking with fellow Amgans they suggest to reformat it as FAT32. Personally I think that would make it less robust. :-) But currently is this the only way it can be used? It worked fine with Windows 7, Linux but fails on a Sony PS3. I don't know what a PS3 supports but I suspect only FAT.

I also wonder with different filesystems how the MSD driver knows what to mount it as and can this be extended? For example an NTFS FUSE based filesystem has been made open source and we could possbily guve us a native NTFS driver which would be great. :-)

I also ask as I'm intersted in purchasing an external harddisk but would like something OS4 compatible as always.
abalaban
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Are extenal drves compatible with AmigaOS?

Post by abalaban »

Hypex wrote:I also ask as I'm intersted in purchasing an external harddisk but would like something OS4 compatible as always.
Then I would suggest you to go for a NAS. Using smbfs you'll be able to use it but depending on your network it could be really slower than on local hard disk (but you won't have any problem about filesystem ;) ).
AmigaOne X1000 running AOS 4 beta
AmigaOne XE/G4
Amiga 1200/PPC 603e + BVision PPC
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Hypex wrote:Hello.

A friend recently bought an external harddisk. But when he tried to connect it on the USB port he just got one of those icons where it was trying to mount but couldn't. I suspect it was using NTFS. Would this be the case? It was a 1TGB drive.
I have been using one of these
http://www.vantecusa.com/gl/product/view_detail/266

with either FAT32 or SFS/00 on either SATA or IDE drives on OS4 up3 and it works just fine.
SFS is faster but no problems with FAT32. The USB 2 really made a difference.
Oh, if you leave big drives plugged in it may cause slower time to Workbench.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

OS4 does not support NTFS yet. It's one of those big jobs that no one wants to take on.

It would probably take a year or more to get something going, and, being Microsoft, it's a moving feast, the API is continually changing and never fully documented.
cheers
tony
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Why don't we just write a JXFS implementation for windows? not that I'd use it but you never know LOL

I have 3 external USB drives a 500MB a 1TB and a 1.5TB (1 western, 2 seagate - The seagate are great for just sliding out of there housings the western wasn't so accomodating)

They all run JXFS and are all out of there housings and plugged directly into the SATA ports... The idea was to fill them up via SATA direct then slip them back into there USB housing which shouldn't be so bad for just access of data etc
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Spektro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Spektro »

You can also use FastFileSystem (DOS\07) on external USB drives, if you like. I've been experiencing random lockups while copying large files to my FFS formatted USB drive. I don't know if it's because of the file system or USB stack or both.
- Janne Peräaho
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

tonyw wrote:OS4 does not support NTFS yet. It's one of those big jobs that no one wants to take on.

It would probably take a year or more to get something going, and, being Microsoft, it's a moving feast, the API is continually changing and never fully documented.
The job has mostly already been done, and is now open-sourced:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/arti ... oryid=6047
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

I have an update to this. I checked and the XHD my friend has is using NTFS.

However the reaction from the MSD is promising. It noticed the filesystem type and tried it mount it. However it had worked it out, I don't know, but it tried to load L:NTFileSystem! :-P

This is good news! By the looks of this behavour all we have to do is drop an NTFileSystem in place and we are ready to go! :mrgreen:

I thought I had already mentioned the recently open sourced FUSE based NTFileSystem (from MOS) but somehow it was missed. Given it's by the author of ECX (and I presume written in E though I need to check that) and I have spent time making sure ECX works bug free on OS4 (by bugging him with emails) we now have greater chance of this being supported. :-)
cha05e90

Post by cha05e90 »

Hypex wrote:However the reaction from the MSD is promising. It noticed the filesystem type and tried it mount it. However it had worked it out, I don't know, but it tried to load L:NTFileSystem! :-P
In theory it should work out of the box. Here i.e I have a 250GB external USB-2.0-hardrive, which I prepped with FFS/2 (I never were able to use SFS/2 with usbdisk.device, bug?). Since then I used it for backup of files with my Peg2 and SAM - but seldom, 'cos USB1 was to slow for this job. In just *this* moment it is attached to my SAM440ep with full USB2.0 speed and is doing some backup work (i.e. some DVD images... :-)).
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

cha05e90 wrote:Here i.e I have a 250GB external USB-2.0-hardrive, which I prepped with FFS/2 (I never were able to use SFS/2 with usbdisk.device, bug?).
I just gave this a try with SFS/2 and have had no problem moving either large or many small files.
It is set for SFS02, 1024 Blocksize, 600 Buffers. It is a PATA drive on a USB adaptor.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.