USB Stack Issue still unsolved...

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
daveyw

Re: USB Stack Issue still unsolved...

Post by daveyw »

I have some occassional problems with my X5000, although I couldn't say for sure what causes it. Sometimes upon boot, the mouse doesn't work properly. There's no movement up and down, and moving the mouse side to side drags the screen up and down. My only recourse is to re-boot.

I never had any problems with my A1XE.
trixie

Post by trixie »

I'm not sure to what extent the USB stack can be blamed, as some of the problems can probably be attributed to the hardware. On my X5000, it looks like the USB ports are somewhat under-powered, as more often than not I lose connection during copying of a large data chunk onto an external drive. Sometimes I also "lose" the keyboard as well, and need to replug it (after which it works fine). At any rate, the USB is by far the most flaky component on my system.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@trixie
As owner of another x5000, can say that i never-ever (i mean no single time) have issues with keyboard or mouse of how you desribe. I have logitech ones (pretty simple ones, without fancy stuff on them), connected to the back ports of motherboard
TomSoniq

Post by TomSoniq »

broadblues wrote:The issue could well be the KVM. Best workaround is not to use a KVM....
Well, if two PCs and an A4k with Deneb/Poseidon/OS3.9 work perfectly fine with this KVM switch I really don't feel like setting up a second monitor, mouse and keyboard just to please that damn SAM440/OS4.1 :P
Not to mention that I don't have enough space on my desk for everything twice. ;)
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

I have been using a powered USB hub since i have my X5000.
Having used a HP standard usb keyboard, and now a Ducky mechanical without any issues.
Both mouse and keyboard are connected to this powered usb hub.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

trixie wrote:I'm not sure to what extent the USB stack can be blamed, as some of the problems can probably be attributed to the hardware.
Yes, it's so rarely happens that I can't nail down what causes it. I've had the machine 2 years come May, and it's probably happened 5 times.
trixie wrote:On my X5000, it looks like the USB ports are somewhat under-powered, as more often than not I lose connection during copying of a large data chunk onto an external drive. Sometimes I also "lose" the keyboard as well, and need to replug it (after which it works fine). At any rate, the USB is by far the most flaky component on my system.
I've noticed this too, although not the keyboard problem. I put alot of effort into making USB on my A1XE work well, and its galling that the USB on my A1XE actually out performs my X5000!
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

trixie wrote:I'm not sure to what extent the USB stack can be blamed, as some of the problems can probably be attributed to the hardware. On my X5000, it looks like the USB ports are somewhat under-powered, as more often than not I lose connection during copying of a large data chunk onto an external drive. Sometimes I also "lose" the keyboard as well, and need to replug it (after which it works fine). At any rate, the USB is by far the most flaky component on my system.
I found on my X1k that the top ports on the case suffered from this terribly (with my phine and camera) but the back ports ie the ones directly attached to te mother board work fine. I don't know if the X5K layout is similar in that regard but could be something to investigate.

Also bootmouse does not properly support my "more fancy logitech mouse" , this means that horizontal moves are smooth but verticals ones are extremly fast to the point of unusabilty. On my SAM Flex this is never a problem, but when I used it directly on the X1k very occasionaly bootmouse does not release the mouse to the general hid.usbfd requiring a detach and reconnect or reboot before it will work properly. This doesn't happen with my older "more basic logitech" or the A-Eon mouse (which is horrid (sorry Trevor!))

Most of the time I am controlling everything from my SAM Flex via MKShare so the bootmouse quirk does affect things till I take my X1K else where.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

TomSoniq wrote:
broadblues wrote:The issue could well be the KVM. Best workaround is not to use a KVM....
Well, if two PCs and an A4k with Deneb/Poseidon/OS3.9 work perfectly fine with this KVM switch I really don't feel like setting up a second monitor, mouse and keyboard just to please that damn SAM440/OS4.1 :P
Not to mention that I don't have enough space on my desk for everything twice. ;)
Does you monitor have only one input? Mine has two and I have one attached to my X1k and the other to my loonix box. I just switch it on the monitor or if only one is active the monitor handles it autmagically.

Maybe I need o make MKShare client for classic and PCs, missing potential market,,,, :-)
xenic

Post by xenic »

daveyw wrote:I've noticed this too, although not the keyboard problem. I put alot of effort into making USB on my A1XE work well, and its galling that the USB on my A1XE actually out performs my X5000!
When I first got my X5000, I had continuous problems with the mouse pointer only moving in one direction after booting or mouse not mounted at all after booting and/or keyboard not mounted after booting. Those problems occurred mostly with wireless USB input devices.

I think some of the X5000 USB problems are caused by the X5000 turning USB power On and Off during the boot process. I discovered that problem because I use a USB powered network adapter that has a power LED. In order to get reliable connection with my network adapter, I installed an external USB port (in a card slot) that I connected to 5V power directly from the power supply.

I cured the mouse "one direction only" problem by connecting the wired AmigaOne keyboard from my X1000 to one of the rear USB conectors on the back of my X5000 and using a Microsoft wireless mouse.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

I think some of the X5000 USB problems are caused by the X5000 turning USB power On and Off during the boot process.
This is not specific to the X5000. Try attaching a LED mouse (ie one with visible light not an infra red laser mouse). Then do a USBCtrl RESTART you will see the LED cycle on and off as it reset the USB busses.

If you have mouse that is misbehaving (move in one direction only or much too fats in one axis etc) try opening USB inspector and looking at what driver is in use, I'd guess it will be bootmouse. Rather than the HID. You will of course need a second mouse attached to be able to do that test or use something like MKShare ,Synergy or VNC to control the machine remotely.

Boot mouse is designed to have only a weak connection and give it up to hid.usbfd once the full USB stack starts. Boot mouse does not suppport some (non standard?) mice properly. Why it occasionaly doesn't "let go" of the mouse I don't know.