C:owner command bug

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
xenic

C:owner command bug

Post by xenic »

When I attempted to use the "C:owner" command exactly like the example in the owner documentation I got a DOS requester stating this:

From the packet emulator of dos 53.17
"RAM/ram-handler 53.171" received an unhandled DOsPacket type: 20000
Sent from process "Shell Process"
Please post and enhancement request for 'dos.library' that contains the above information.

It looks like a bugfix or enhancement is needed before the C:owner command can be used.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
colinw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: C:owner command bug

Post by colinw »

xenic wrote: When I attempted to use the "C:owner" command exactly like the example in the owner documentation
I got a DOS requester stating this:

From the packet emulator of dos 53.17
"RAM/ram-handler 53.171" received an unhandled DOsPacket type: 20000
Sent from process "Shell Process"
Please post and enhancement request for 'dos.library' that contains the above information.
It looks like a bugfix or enhancement is needed before the C:owner command can be used.

From the packet emulator of dos 53.17 ?
The ram-handler 53.171 won't even start up with this DOS library version. What's up here, looks like a typo. ?

BTW:
The unhandled packet message is because the 'c:owner' and 'c:group' commands are still sending "private" packets
to handlers and no-one has used them in over a decade, so no-one noticed this.
xenic

Post by xenic »

colinw wrote: From the packet emulator of dos 53.17 ?
The ram-handler 53.171 won't even start up with this DOS library version. What's up here, looks like a typo. ?
Yes, that was a typo. It should read "dos 53.157".
The example in the documentation that brings up that requester is "owner textfile admin". If you enter a number there is no DOS requester.

Since the system doesn't appear to make any use of the 'ownership' settings, maybe those commands should be removed from future OS4.x releases. I can't find any predefined owner names or any way to generate or establish a systemwide owner ID. The whole "owner" functionality seems like an incomplete implementation that shouldn't even exist in OS4.x at this point.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
colinw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by colinw »

xenic wrote: Since the system doesn't appear to make any use of the 'ownership' settings, maybe those commands should be removed from future OS4.x releases. I can't find any predefined owner names or any way to generate or establish a systemwide owner ID. The whole "owner" functionality seems like an incomplete implementation that shouldn't even exist in OS4.x at this point.
The system current doesn't "use" the owner values per se, but they are still available from all current filesystems we have.
A directory scan will show these values to you. Previously they were 16 bit values, the new scanner API extends these to 32 bits.

What we don't have is a working method to exchange the group and owner values for a string name.
This is basically why those private packets showed up in the vector-port packet emulator that RAM:, ENV:, etc... use,
these packets were and old incomplete method that was being developed to convert ID numbers to Names and visa-versa,
and since OS4 is a based on the original OS3.1 source code, we also inherited some of the "in progress" stuff from that time.