Partially black screen on booting

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
JosDuchIt

Partially black screen on booting

Post by JosDuchIt »

On booting, the lower part WBscreen background is black (or somtimes fully)
In some tests skipping all or less of the user-startup brings the wbscreen background image back or a bigger part of it.
But i don't have found a way to get reid of it altogether.
This is with my OS4.1FE on SAM460ex Radeon HD 6450 & driver 2.4
have seen this withOS4.1Upd 6 too but disappeared i don't know how

Using prefs/ScreenMode , chosing an other screenmode, then again the original one (the highest definition available (1920 x1080 ARGB 32)
or another mode, the screen is restored as expected.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Partially black screen on booting

Post by nbache »

JosDuchIt wrote:On booting, the lower part WBscreen background is black (or somtimes fully)
I used to sometimes see this on one of my older monitors (a Philips Brillance 200P with 1600×1200). I could make it right just by switching the monitor between the digital and analog input and back again.

Worth a try, at least.

Best regards,

Niels
JosDuchIt

Post by JosDuchIt »

My monitor is a HP2211x connectedto the DVI-D output of the RAdeon HD-6450

I followed your suggestion, selected the VGA output, which is then recognised as non-active and then the normal screen returns asthective outputhas been foundagain.

I doubt the problem is in the monitor.

I have been rid ofthe problem for some time.Yesterday i installed Qt4.7-minimaland now the problem is back
-the whole workbench'sbackground is black now
My previous description may have been confusing
1) the icons do always appear above the black part of the WB window
2) the window's border is drawn correctly
3) Amidock is drawn correctly onthe screen itself (under the lesshigh than screenWB window
- restoring the WB window is a bit more difficult than befor : i have to select and really use an other screen,then chose my original screen's characteristics & savethem

I wonder if there is not some race condition (as suggested with results of skipping parts of user-startup) but between what?

I just thought of some other possible cause:interaction with Amidock?
Rather simultaneously with the installation ofSt4.7minimal i also worked on Amidock prefs
In fact:
after installation of OS4.1FE Amidock showed up, on booting, shortly not entirely at the bottom of the screen, then closed and was not redrawn elsewhere.
With my OS4.1 Update6 partition Amidock shows up too, but is then replaced according to my preferences.
So yesterday i copied those preferences, and now here (OS4.1FE) too, Amidock is redrawn as expected from prefs
Only thing that is curious: some vertical docks are redrawn too on boot, even if i did close them before reboot.

The last thing i want to say is that i have had similar problems witOS4.1Update 6, that also disappeared, i don'tknow why.
(Problem was surely not as bad as now

Solved?
Using with WB pattern prefs a pattern,the problemis gone

The images proposed are all 1024 x768 (if i recallcorrectly)
I could not check that because after chosing a pattern, then tryingto chose an image again, WBpattern prefs does not point to the proper directory ny more.
(If not a bug a weakness )
I guess redrawing them to the screens resolution 1920 x1080 takes too much time?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

JosDuchIt wrote:I followed your suggestion, selected the VGA output, which is then recognised as non-active and then the normal screen returns asthective outputhas been foundagain.
And by normal screen you mean the one with some black background, I assume?

Oh well - as I wrote, it was worth a try.
My previous description may have been confusing
1) the icons do always appear above the black part of the WB window
2) the window's border is drawn correctly
3) Amidock is drawn correctly onthe screen itself (under the lesshigh than screenWB window
Okay, that is definitely different from what I saw back then.
Solved?
Using with WB pattern prefs a pattern,the problemis gone

The images proposed are all 1024 x768 (if i recallcorrectly)
I could not check that because after chosing a pattern, then tryingto chose an image again, WBpattern prefs does not point to the proper directory ny more.
The default background pictures are found in SYS:Prefs/Presets/Default. There are directories with backgrounds for many resolutions, among them one for 1920×1080, matching your screen resolution. I would try one of those, setting the layout to tiled or centered (both of which will place the picture on the screen to fill it without having to scale it).
I guess redrawing them to the screens resolution 1920 x1080 takes too much time?
Not having to scale it will help. You could also try converting the image you want to use to png or even bmp, so the machine doesn't have to spend time decompressing a JPEG.

Best regards,

Niels
JosDuchIt

Post by JosDuchIt »

@nbache
The default background pictures are found in SYS:Prefs/Presets/Default.
Thanks i picked up the "original" backgound1920x1080.png & it is loaded on, boot fully as expected.
Nice
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

JosDuchIt wrote:Thanks i picked up the "original" backgound1920x1080.png & it is loaded on, boot fully as expected.
Ah, yes, I can see some of them are already PNG, I had forgotten that.

Good that it solved the matter.

Did you also use "tiled" or "centered"? Or maybe WBPattern (IPrefs/the datatype?) is smart enough to know it doesn't have to waste power on scaling it when it matches the screen resolution?

Best regards,

Niels