Right Click Desktop DSI AOS 4.1.6 (updated & issue resolved)

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Srtest

Right Click Desktop DSI AOS 4.1.6 (updated & issue resolved)

Post by Srtest »

I've been trying to diagnose a strange heppening with the Right Click. I couldn't isolate it to one particular program and also the dsi notices didn't arose from only one source according to the stack trace of GR. I noticed it happens more when more than one prog is open and also when two different browsers are opened. I've recently done some remodeling of the desktop and added several utilities and comodities. Could it be from putting too much load on the cpu and ram? because as far as ram usage goes it seems ok while the cpu can reach a heavy load and not cause immediatelly a dsi. Could it be a random iterference? I'm using AOS 4.1.6 while Candi is running.
Last edited by Srtest on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Right Click Desktop DSI AOS 4.1.6

Post by nbache »

A strange happening?

Hmm, I think we may need a bit more description of what the actual problem is.

Best regards,

Niels
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

nbache wrote:A strange happening?

Hmm, I think we may need a bit more description of what the actual problem is.

Best regards,

Niels
Well, It appears to have something to do with the upgraded Candi and Radeon HD 2.4, context menu and the Filer commodity. Next time Candi gives me a DSI on a right click I'll post it in this correspondense since I don't know exactly how to cause it myself. It seems Candi doesn't like to be working alongside E-UAE (no jit) emulation especially on 3.1 workbench and AGA games. The DSI Candi give is followed by an ISI soon afterwords. The last time I tried to save the crash log it gave me an unreadable file and a freeze. I have my suspects along with a heavy system load (for whatever reason legitemate or false). It doesn't happen on a light load and the action that accelerates the appearance of the DSI is a right click on the desktop. However, even before this is happening sometimes I suffer from lags and a skip in the motion of the mouse when the DSI is close by. I don't know for sure if removing Candi from the startup fixes it because the issue isn't only the appearance of the DSI. I'll try to be more attentive to the notices and post them here.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Okay. I'm definitely out of my "home zone" here, as I use neither Candi nor Filer nor E-UAE (nor update 6, for that matter).

But I would definitely expect that something like Candi could be a heavy load on CPU as well as graphics card.

If you can, you might try connecting to another computer via a serial link and save the output from the crash that way.

Best regards,

Niels
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

Ok so I'm adding now a crash report I recentlly got from Candi Xmas edition. A DSI on Candi usually leads to a unusable system so it is not important in itself.

I've tested several approaches to find out more about this issue:
1.The heavy load approach which stems from graphics and internet usage on my system. I've learned before that when booting to E-UAE that it best I disable almost everything which isn't essential using Exchange.
2. The constant update approach - I have recently added several constantly updated utils and stuff to the desktop, like SMARTdock and Animicon and Fuelgauge.
3. The interruptions approach - stuff that make right clicking on the desktop produce a DSI and also things that I feel are just causing some kind of a sluggish effect on the system and the mouse movement.

- I've found out that not using Context Menu resolves almost everything and clicking everywhere is smoother. Because I need Context Menu this isn't an option and it is quite obvious the combination with other programs is more relevent.
- Something can create a heavy load and have this load manifest in errors and the other way around - errors manifested in clicking and stuff and unaccounted small lags can add up and be translated into a heavy system load.
- The combination of the recent Candi and RadeonHD drivers (2.4) with Odyssey produces errors from time to time and I can't know when the effect is gonna come - DSI and ISI. However, upon disabling the constantly updated stuff this is reduced considerably.
- I recommend not to use Candi with both Odyssey and Netsurf opened with a number of tabs on each browser.
- The heavy load condition can produce bugs and irregularities when you try to multi task. Not just slowdowns and of course the combination of Candi and E-UAE is not good.
- Sometimes the most relevent error appearance timing is the first moment you desktop/windows switch - iconify Odyssey and right click, iconify and left click, moving between browsers and windows along with right clicking on the desktop.
- Screen switching with all of the above can produce the sluggish effect and also hicups in mouse movement.
Attachments
FastLHA_150219_033607.lha
(6.78 KiB) Downloaded 1975 times
Last edited by Srtest on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Just a thought.
Do you checked "non-blocking popup menus" in Prefs/GUI/Menus/Menus-popup" ?

I think that it's non-checked by default.

edit : check to the "non-blocking" that is at the left of "popup menus"
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

Ok both of the non-blocking were turned off as I thought it was all about the visual effect and functionality. Will give it a go as you suggested and post an update.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

The combination of the recent Candi and RadeonHD drivers (2.4)
Both of these, definetly the later, but i think both, require Final Edition.
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

Recommended and Basic
Attachments
SnapIt-2 - 803x569x24.png
SnapIt-1 - 803x569x24.png
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by imagodespira »

Can you post your configuration, please?

Candi itself runs fine with AOS 4.1.6 here and it also dont needs RadeonHD 2.4. Context menu also works and EUAE startet too.
Here i run a Sam460, 2gb Ram, RadeonHD5450. What i dont have here is filer in the contextmenu.

Also without candi i have some crashes from contextmenu if i dont have clicked an icon within a workbench window (can not 100% say in which cases). Solved in later versions of contextmenu.

Candi uses compositing effects, look if it is activated in the gui.prefs. Also try the low cpu versions if it runs better, this is aimed for lower cpu and lower gfx cards (like mine 5450).

Please note that in much work is done on the ContextMenu which is available only on AmigaOS 4.1 FE, maybe some bugs are solved there.

The best combination should be ever the latest updates, drivers etc.