Various bugs in AmigaOS 4.1 Final

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
HKvalhe

Re: Various bugs in AmigaOS 4.1 Final

Post by HKvalhe »

We are all very grateful that the issues are under investigation and that bug-fixes will come :) So there is no need to rush out in a hurry but to take good time and do a proper search of the issues to archive the best possible solutions to iron out these bugs, making the OS even better in time :)

Just making the new features in FE are a really big step into the future :) Seeing how long the Amiga actually has survived it's amazing. 30 years! That's something to be very proud of! :)

And there is always room for improvement in time :) I have faith :) Thank you again, to all of you working heavily on improving the AmigaOS4. Thank you so much :) Keep it up :)
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
xenic

Post by xenic »

I think someone already reported that WBStartup prefs looses an entry from the list when you perform an Information on it without making any changes. I also just noticed that the WBStartup Information window doesn't show the start priority for any programs in the list. I have some program startups set to low priorities because they need to start after other progams. If I perform WorkBench/Icon/Information on the program icons, the start priorities are shown correctly but from within WBStartup prefs they are all shown as zero (0).
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Mikey_C

Post by Mikey_C »

I too am having speed issues on my SAM 440EP, I find some programs (Mostly games admittedly) are unplayable now. FS2 and Q3 are the worst, complete lag, juddering etc. At least FS2 worked fine in OS4.1 U6

Hope this helps.

Mikey C
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Raziel wrote:I can confirm this, though it's a general problem for me.

Once a program works the cpu to 100% all other applications become jerky at best, unusable at worst.

<snip>
I was even able to normally surf sites with Odyssey and do other stuff overall beside the compiling.
<snip>
Further tests reveal that indeed Odyssey is the (once again...it seems Odyssey urgently needs an update ;-) ) bad boy.

Once Odyssey is doing anything on a displayed site (easiest example: let Odyssey display a web page with a clock with the seconds animating -> everything goes down to a crawl - that is, when the cpu load was already at 100% beforehand)

It seems OS4.1 FE is much more unforgiving when it comes to sharing cpu load or Odyssey is trying to steal away time and FE doesn't let it?

I know i was able to easily surf with Odyssey on upd6 while compiling stuff...now i have to change my behaviour and let the projects build while i'm doing something else...ah well :-)

And to conclude...once Odyssey is turned off or displays a site with no animations or anything else going on (e.g. about:) everything is fine, WB behaves slick and normal...so, sorry for blaming OS4.1.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
xenic

Post by xenic »

@Raziel
Do you have an example WEB page (URL) that slows Odyssey down?
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

I certainly hope that the bugs found in AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition will be fixed. Once done, it will be easier to see what needs to be updated in different programs also, and to be guaranteed that they will work better.

The situation with Odyssey might be off-topic here, as several of the issues are actually related to FE itself, but it's true that Odyssey needs to be updated. We are now into 2015. There should at least be a version 1.25 or something, and some of the functions in Odyssey need to be changed to perform better. I'm sure we all can agree on that. But that's something that has to be done once the bugs in FE are solved. Then it will certainly be easier to know what would need to be fixed in programs that have "compatibility issues" with AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition.

I was hoping to make some wonderful tunes with the old OctaMED SoundStudio V1.0.3c, which worked nicely under 4.1.6. It should work without freeze in FE if it wasn't for the bugs in FE. FE could just have ignored the GR message and let OMSS work normal, without having to freeze the system after quitting it, as already mentioned in an own topic about it. I'm now waiting for the bugfixes like all of you do.

It might also be interesting to see how different Amiga systems work with their own version of AmigaOS 4.1 Final. While even some bugs are causing issues...say on SAM440ep/SAM460 systems, they might actually work on X1000, for instance, and vice versa. Just to give a clear picture. While working on dealing with various issues in AmigaOS 4.1 Final on different Amiga systems, it could also be worth checking out how different Amiga systems react to different issues with FE.

No wonder the new features of FE are great, if we didn't experience different issues, that's it...

UPDATE: Today of Friday the 13th of Febraury 2015, i tried to upload a 640 x 480 VGA video in MP4 format to Facebook. A video i took with my 18.1Mpx Panasonic Lumix TZ40 photo camera connected via the USB-port on my AmigaOne 500. During the upload when it was about finished, trying to bring it up after upload, the AmigaOS 4.1 Final freezed the system. It would seem that for most operations we try to do under AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition, they end up in a freeze and you have to do a hard reset of the machine. It's pretty annoying and very frustrating. We can't have such bugs in our dear AmigaOS.

We are into 2015. It's time to give AmigaOS the SERIOUS impression it should have from the very beginning. Not just being a limited hobby-OS. Sorry to say that, but it's true, and we all know it...I'm not trying to give a lecture or something. Just saying it as it is. Nothing is easy, but nothing is impossible either. Belief and hope are everything...That goes without saying. I hope we can take this seriously.

Hopefully, the forthcoming AmigaOS 4.2 might be the AmigaOS that can finally bring Amiga where it deserves to be, without saying that again. Multicore in form of SMP, brand new OpenGL graphic system like Gallium3D, and such things, are exactly just few of many things needed to bring Amiga on the pair with the best out there. Don't have to be a programmer to realize this to be a fact.

In the meantime, we will need bugfixes for AmigaOS 4.1 Final, if we are to enjoy using this latest AmigaOS version without any problem, and most of all, without any freeze. I hope the fixes come soon.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

I'd like to add that I got some weird green colours when FE was installed. It was horisontal green lines across the rendering (I think) of Odyssey and also in the scrollist.

I've now tried another screen with "Detect settings automatically" and it didn't work either, blanking all the time just waiting for the picture to come through. This screen is a lot slower at syncing than my normal screen so... it wasn't very pleasant. My gfxcard is probably of some brand/model that noone but me have. The green colour makes me think of a bug though.

Like I wrote years back I copied the settings reported by my screen to AOS 4.1 when I ran Linux on a PC and it worked more or less. It isn't 100% perfect but I rarely see the screen blank. It happens but only when there's a lot of action going on like when playing Swamp Defense.

Anyway, I do like lots of things with FE but it doesn't feal like writing drivers is something that is easy to do and for some things it works great and for others you're stuck with it never working. I'm not thinking about my A1 XE but about the SATA2-port on the SAM 460 (for example).

I get the impression that the Friedens + Ben wants to rush forward and get everything in a state where it isn't. A vision... but it takes too long so if something doesn't work well... noone can really fix it and that's it.

I'm NOT complaining, it's just my way of seeing things. I AM happy with 4.1 FE, it works pretty well on my A1 XE and I'm typing this in Odyssey right now. Timberwolf is more stable but just today it didn't want to quit properly. I did wait for 10 minutes or so and I ended up doing a reset. The RAM didn't return and CPU-usage was high. There are lots of little things here and there too that I won't bring up, some of them are allready mentioned and so on.
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

Looking away from the problems a few seconds, the new features of FE are interesting enough. But they give an impression of being...incomplete or made in a bit of a hurry.

Much could have to do with the new unified graphic library in the kickstart layer, which seem to be a big difference, but a lot of programs and tools which worked without problems in 4.1.6, seem to have issues with FE.

But it's a good thing that we will get bug fixes for FE as there are so many proven issues that bug fixes HAVE to be made.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
satiropan

Post by satiropan »

I have read all this thd and I am now pretty worried. I have just sent money to vesalia to buy 2 copies of FE, one for my amigaone g3se and one for my ppc a1200. I have a strong feeling now that I wasted money.... :cry:
Satiropan
PPA1200 (Poor Portable Amiga 1200): BPPC-160MB,
BVision-CGX4, HD 10GB, slim DVD R/W, Asus VW161D
display, 3COM Lan PC card, OS4.1FE
AmigaOne G3-SE 600MHz, 1GB, Radeon 9200 128DDR,
CS4281 sound card, RTL8029, SiI3114, OS 4.1.6 & OS4.1FE
http://www.oldfab.webs.com
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

satiropan wrote:I have read all this thd and I am now pretty worried. I have just sent money to vesalia to buy 2 copies of FE, one for my amigaone g3se and one for my ppc a1200. I have a strong feeling now that I wasted money.... :cry:
Don't worry, when you get it you find that not every bug reported here affects every instance of FE: (usage patterns vary) and that there are many new features that overwhelm all the bugs.