Various bugs in AmigaOS 4.1 Final

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Raziel

Re: Various bugs in AmigaOS 4.1 Final

Post by Raziel »

xenic wrote:@Raziel
Do you have an example WEB page (URL) that slows Odyssey down?
http://onlineclock.net/

Easy example and it won't make your system unusable.

Every time a new second is counted (and drawn by Odyssey) the mouse pointer (and input - keyboard) will lag (the keyboard will even "eat" away input letters and leave you with a total letter meshup)

That happens everytime Odyssey is running and doing something in the background (like pulling a project with hg - which will push the cpu to 100%)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

I'm confident that bugfixes to AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition will arrive soon. The developers and betatesters of AmigaOS4 should have had a lot of time already to look into various bugs in FE and been working on bugfixes to fix them.

It's not cool when your favourite OS has too many bugs where most of them end into a freeze of your system where you are forced to do a hard reset. That's not cool at all. Sorry to say, but it's true.

We all love the Amiga and its' OS. That's why it's so important.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
xenic

Post by xenic »

Raziel wrote: http://onlineclock.net/

Every time a new second is counted (and drawn by Odyssey) the mouse pointer (and input - keyboard) will lag (the keyboard will even "eat" away input letters and leave you with a total letter meshup)

That happens everytime Odyssey is running and doing something in the background (like pulling a project with hg - which will push the cpu to 100%)
I can somewhat reproduce the problem by compiling a large program with my 68k GeekGadgets GCC compiler. My mouse pointer will lag and my editor lags a little but doesn't lose any letters. I can't tell if Odyssey is making the problem worse or not. I never reported the issue because running my 68k compiler under OS4 emulation is already so slow that I didn't want any changes that would make it run even slower in order to smooth system operation.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

xenic wrote:
Raziel wrote: http://onlineclock.net/

I can somewhat reproduce the problem by compiling a large program with my 68k GeekGadgets GCC compiler. My mouse pointer will lag and my editor lags a little but doesn't lose any letters. I can't tell if Odyssey is making the problem worse or not. I never reported the issue because running my 68k compiler under OS4 emulation is already so slow that I didn't want any changes that would make it run even slower in order to smooth system operation.
Thanks xenic for partly confirming.

I'm pretty sure it's Odyssey...
But as it's a third party program problem i'm not pushing this specific behaviour any further...we'll se if there will be an updated bug fixed Odyssey
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
xenic

Post by xenic »

HKvalhe wrote:I'm confident that bugfixes to AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition will arrive soon.
Don't hold your breathe. Plenty of Update6 bugs haven't been fixed. At this point, I don't see how they can release FE updates that Update6 users can't also download. I think AmiUpdate may need an update before we see any FE updates.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

xenic wrote:
HKvalhe wrote:I'm confident that bugfixes to AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition will arrive soon.
Don't hold your breathe. Plenty of Update6 bugs haven't been fixed. At this point, I don't see how they can release FE updates that Update6 users can't also download. I think AmiUpdate may need an update before we see any FE updates.
I'm afraid you might be right. I'm not holding my breath anymore. I'm rather disappointed with the rushed release of FE without fixing the issues you mentioned. Can't even run some old favorite applications without a freeze, and there are too many limitations. Not even a modern printing system, you can't Skype or proper Webcam, you can't even record and upload a high quality video to Facebook or something. YouTube perhaps but other sites, no.

I expect much more of the Amiga in 2015. It irritates me to a level where I am considering installing either Ubuntu or Debian Linux on my AmigaOne 500 instead. 2015, and AmigaOS4 is not even where it should be!

It's ridiculous!
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
ddni

Post by ddni »

tommysammy wrote:The problem with two installed gfx card is fixed.
Has there been any further progress on this fix?