Various bugs in AmigaOS 4.1 Final

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
tommysammy

Re: Various bugs in AmigaOS 4.1 Final

Post by tommysammy »

zzd10h wrote:I thought that the BetaTester have to activate MUNGE and DEBUG kernel to track buggy programs ?

For MUNGE, take a look here :
http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Debug_Kernel

you will read MUNGE = "This argument does nothing on a release kernel." but as I explained in the previous thread, for me, even with Release Kernel MUNGE have an incidence.

Thank you (on OS4, we are all, a little bit, BetaTesters ;) )
I use only Debuglevel=5
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

What's the problem with MUNGE on an X-1000? I use it all the time and have no problem.

(edit)
Ah, OK, found the reference. As Salassoo said, there is nothing wrong with the kernel or the Munge option. The problem lies in the application that crashes when Munge is enabled in a debug kernel.

The debug kernel is for debugging user programs, not for debugging the kernel. It is designed to crash bad programs rather than let them run wild.
cheers
tony
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

@TonyW
"The problem lies in the application that crashes when Munge is enabled in a debug kernel."

Hi,
on my FE setup, I only have standard Kernel in my Kicklayout.

As I mentionned in the previous thread, MUNGE seems to have effect even in NO DEBUG kernel because if I remove it :
-Copy/Paste works fine
-even SQLMan program works fine without MUNGE but crash with MUNGE
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... lman.lha#4

Is MUNGE really only for DEBUG kernel ?
It's just by curiosity,
thank you
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
colinw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by colinw »

zzd10h wrote: Is MUNGE really only for DEBUG kernel ?
It's just by curiosity, thank you
No, free memory MUNGE works on both versions.

Only some more pedantic tests are in the debug kernel, like the list node removal killer that
puts the value of 0xcccccccc; in the ln_Succ and ln_Pred fields of a struct Node after it is
removed from a list, this one really trips up a few pieces of software.
xenic

Post by xenic »

tommysammy wrote:@samo79
2) i created a bz report at bz9106, i can reproduce it. Thanks for reporting it.
You can add to that BZ that clicking on the stuck icon after closing Console prefs causes a crash.

Can you add a BZ that ASyncWB will no long copy bare icons anymore. I reported that bug in Oct 2013 and 2 versions later it's still not fixed. You can confirm the bug by trying to drag SYS:System/Shell to ram: window or another partition window. I've been able to drag bare icons on an Amiga for 26 years and there is no reason why I should still be able to do so in OS4.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic

Post by xenic »

klesterjr wrote:I cannot copy bare icons (icons without an associated app or file) between drives (including ram). My solution has been to put them into a drawer and move the entire drawer.
I've reported that several times since Oct 2013. We've always been able to drag bare icons on Amiga and now it's a lost feature on OS4. If you D/L an icon archive from OS4Depot, you can't drag individual icons to another partition. We shouldn't need to resort to a file manager just to copy some icons.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

xenic wrote:Can you add a BZ that ASyncWB will no long copy bare icons anymore. I reported that bug in Oct 2013 and 2 versions later it's still not fixed.
As stated by salass00 here: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =10#p30262, it was already fixed (the BZ was made already before you reported it earlier in that thread). Unfortunately it seems to have been too late to make it on the released CD.

This may come as a shock: <whispering> Not all known bugs are necessarily fixed and released in any given release (of any IT or other tech product) </whispering>

Best regards,

Niels
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

colinw wrote:
zzd10h wrote: Is MUNGE really only for DEBUG kernel ?
It's just by curiosity, thank you
No, free memory MUNGE works on both versions.

Only some more pedantic tests are in the debug kernel, like the list node removal killer that
puts the value of 0xcccccccc; in the ln_Succ and ln_Pred fields of a struct Node after it is
removed from a list, this one really trips up a few pieces of software.

Thank you for the clarification because the wiki seems to don't say that (link in a previous post) but it explains why it affected my system (ok, not MUNGE but Copy/Paste)

Wiki =
"This argument does nothing on a release kernel."
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
samo79

Post by samo79 »

tommysammy wrote:Autoinfo have problems with Appicons, sometimes with normal icons (drawer, Harddisk etc) I have created a bug report a few weeks ago
Ok so all bugs in this thread seems now reported ... ehm as you are here can you check also those: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =14&t=2813
Eventually best solution might be opening a new ticket for each apps involved, just to avoid confusion.
tommysammy

Post by tommysammy »

tommysammy wrote:
Can you add a BZ that ASyncWB will no long copy bare icons anymore. I reported that bug in Oct 2013 and 2 versions later it's still not fixed. You can confirm the bug by trying to drag SYS:System/Shell to ram: window or another partition window. I've been able to drag bare icons on an Amiga for 26 years and there is no reason why I should still be able to do so in OS4.
That is fixed
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network