Update 3 scroll wheel no longer working

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
djrikki

Re: Update 3 scroll wheel no longer working

Post by djrikki »

mrdarek is correct this is a new problem. It never happened once under update 2 so therefore this is a newly introduced bug that requires (immediate) attention.
Hans-Joerg Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans-Joerg Frieden »

I had a similar problem in the past, on the Pegasos I think. What I did (and still do everywhere) is comment out the bootmouse and bootkeyboard from the kicklayout and add HID.usbfd instead. Works for me.
NOTICE: If you want to contact me, use E-Mail. I cannot be contacted via the forum/private messages anymore
mrdarek

Post by mrdarek »

Well. I'm tired fighting with my mouse. I found temporary solution But use it for your risk - I'm not developer - just user.
Open your system disk, show all files, navigate to kickstart drawer, found file "kicklayount". This is txt file. Open it in txt editor. Find line:
MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd
and replace it for line:
;MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd
Save.
press reset.
Now my old mouse work with scroll mouse button in any usb port and I no need wait 15 second for system find my mouse and "plug it" after initialize and add it without scroll button.
Last edited by mrdarek on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hardware: sam460ex, Scythe KAMA 2 Card Reader, Sil 3114, Radeon HD 4650
interest: ami-lineapolis developer
mrdarek

Post by mrdarek »

I had a similar problem in the past, on the Pegasos I think. What I did (and still do everywhere) is comment out the bootmouse and bootkeyboard from the kicklayout and add HID.usbfd instead. Works for me.
It's probably better solution. then disabling ehci. Can anyone describe step by step how lines mark and how line add (for beginers like me)
Is this safe solution? If OS not find my devices I lost control...
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

mrdarek wrote:;MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd
That disables USB 2 support. EHCI == USB2
ExecSG Team Lead
sba

Post by sba »

mrdarek wrote:Well. I'm tired fighting with my mouse. I found temporary solution But use it for your risk - I'm not developer - just user.
Open your system disk, show all files, navigate to kickstart drawer, found file "kicklayount". This is txt file. Open it in txt editor. Find line:
MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd
and replace it for line:
;MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd
Save.
press reset.
Now my old mouse work with scroll mouse button in any usb port and I no need wait 15 second for system find my mouse and "plug it" after initialize and add it without scroll button.
The internal hub (in particular, its transaction translators) of the Sam460ex seems to have some problems with low speed and full speed transfers (which are often used by mouse and keyboard). Whether this is really a bug in the hub, in the EHCI controller, or a software problem is not known at the moment.

To find out whether this is an explanation for your problem, you should take a look at T: The best is to paste this file here. (Note that I'm on vacations so it may take a while for me to look into this). Also, you could try to reattach the mouse if the system is booted. Usually, the problem is totally random. If this is indeed the problem, then another workaround is to use a separate USB 2.0 hub that doesn't show this behaviour. Note that I also have an external hub which shows exactly the very same behaviour but I also have one which don't.

Another possible software workaround would be to retry the failing transfers (other OSes do this and there is a similar fix for this on Windows as well), but the current AmigaOS USB stack doesn't do this for all USB transfers. That is, if a transfer fails during the initialization of the hid device, the next compatible driver is tried, which is the bootmouse driver.

Hope this helps at least a little bit. Of course, it could be a completely different issue in your particular case.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Can anyone describe step by step how lines mark and how line add (for beginers like me)
Is this safe solution? If OS not find my devices I lost control...
You really don't need to add HID.usbfd. Commenting out bootmouse and
bootkeyboard should be enough. Especially if you do not use the Early
Startup Menu ( only one copy of AOS). The HID driver is not really
needed until Workbench is full booted anyway. If you're determined to
try this, and you can always change it back........

Beginner;

Open NotePad
Click Open
Click Volumes
DoubleClick System
DoubleClick Kickstart
Find Kicklayout, DoubleClick.

By inserting a semicolon ; in front of a line you tell the OS NOT to read
that line.

To add something new you would follow the same format as for all the lines
in the file now. Hint- Don't do this, not as a beginner.

Once you change something you Click Save and you are done.
BE CAREFUL. If you mess something up, you might have to boot off a CD
to be able to fix it. It will not burn out your computer. :-)
You will simply experience 'Live and Learn'.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

mechanic wrote:Beginner;

Open NotePad
Click Open
Click Volumes
DoubleClick System
Or Workbench or whatever your boot volume is called.
DoubleClick Kickstart
Find Kicklayout, DoubleClick.

By inserting a semicolon ; in front of a line you tell the OS NOT to read
that line.

To add something new you would follow the same format as for all the lines
in the file now. Hint- Don't do this, not as a beginner.
And if you insist on doing it anyway, at least make absolutely sure that a file with the name and path you inserted, actually exists on disk before you reboot!
Once you change something you Click Save and you are done.
BE CAREFUL. If you mess something up, you might have to boot off a CD
to be able to fix it. It will not burn out your computer. :-)
You will simply experience 'Live and Learn'.
Very true. And that form of learning is usually pretty effective too ;-).

Best regards,

Niels
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

sba wrote:To find out whether this is an explanation for your problem, you should take a look at T: The best is to paste this file here.
Just as a quick note: "This file" is called T:usb.log, for anyone who might not have realized ;-).

Best regards,

Niels
mrdarek

Post by mrdarek »

Disabling USB2 work always-immediately I got mouse with scroll button
Disabling bootmouse, USB2 enabled for good mouse work good, for poor mouse like my esperanza can work over 1 min and in this time OS many times detecting new USB devices, think and again detecting. In most tries I got my mouse with scroll, 1 time system loop detecting too long - I reset it :).
Many times I got info "no bootmouse drivers" but after some times mouse start work. Adding hid device with proper path into kicklayount no help much.
But esperanza mouse must be very poor - even Windows OS in rare situations has trouble detecting it - I not recomended esperanza mouse even if this mouse is cheap, nice looking and if work - work OK.
I send some logs soon...