Update 3 IBrowse & YAM not working

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
tboeckel
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Update 3 IBrowse & YAM not working

Post by tboeckel »

djrikki wrote:However, I did do the following that may help if your still experiencing problems. Open SimpleMail, go to the Project Menu and select About MUI. In the About menu IF it says something along the lines of 'These files are no longer required and can be safely deleted.' and lists each one in - it also gives you the option to delete them all by clicking ona button. So I did.
Well, this is just meant as a method to clean up your system. While it causes no harm to delete the obsolete classes and libraries it also causes no harm to keep them. But some people prefer to have as less files as possible on their hard disk. The obsolete files will never be used by MUI. Hence it is safe to delete them.
tboeckel
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tboeckel »

vox wrote:The new MUI is incompatible with some older settings and will cause crashes and other funny artifacts, like help bubbles looking wierd perhaps.
This is due to the new background image inheritance feature. Before the update an empty image spec string was treated as "use the default background color" (typically some shade of gray). Now such an image spec will be treated as "use the same image as the surrounding parent object".
I admit that this indeed might cause some funny graphical glitches to happen if images are inherited where it is not appropriate, but it will not cause any crashes. All the reported crashes happened, because some people somehow managed to mix up old and new stuff. MUI heavily relies on internal structures. Hence one cannot mix old and new classes. This will definitely crash due to changed internal structures. External 3rd party custom classes (#?.mcc) are not affected by this structure change as they don't know these internal structure.

The best solution is to reset all settings to the global defaults (either by choosing the corresponding item from the context menu or by deleting ENV(ARC):MUI/<<Global>>.prefs) and then to start to configure MUI again to match your own preferences. For applications with custom settings which differ from the global default settings the corresponding #?.prefs files should be deleted, too.
danwood

Post by danwood »

I have tried totally wiping out my MUI drawer and only having files from update 1, then 2 and then 3 (replacing files as I go), I have deleted Envarc:mui and made blank drawer, issue still remains.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

danwood wrote:I have tried totally wiping out my MUI drawer and only having files from update 1, then 2 and then 3 (replacing files as I go), I have deleted Envarc:mui and made blank drawer, issue still remains.
That is really mysterious. I would guess you are not booting from the correct partition or something of that nature.

Sorry about the trouble but I'm sure tboeckel will be able to help you get to the bottom of it.
ExecSG Team Lead
danwood

Post by danwood »

ssolie wrote:
danwood wrote:I have tried totally wiping out my MUI drawer and only having files from update 1, then 2 and then 3 (replacing files as I go), I have deleted Envarc:mui and made blank drawer, issue still remains.
That is really mysterious. I would guess you are not booting from the correct partition or something of that nature.

Sorry about the trouble but I'm sure tboeckel will be able to help you get to the bottom of it.
UPDATE!

After many hours of trying to solve crashes with many MUI based apps (IBrowse, YAM, SabreMSN, and MUI prefs itself) a few hours in the Amigaworld IRC channel and we sorted it on my system.

This solution may help others users who were suffering from similar, unexplained crashes too. Basically we found out that the version of muimaster.library was an older version resident in RAM to the version in MUI: after some digging it seems I had some older MUI files installed in LIBS:

Now I was baffled, I'd deleted everything related to MUI, configs, ENVARC:Mui sys;mui etc. all restored from update 2/3.

But a MUI directory and the libraries were present in my LIBS: directory. Now, as other users are experiencing the same problem, we can only assume some Installer from some app we have all installed has put these files there, more than likely an update to a MUI class or component. So the solution is to

delete libs:mui#?

then reboot. The system will then use the files from sys:mui instead, which should be current versions! I'm happy to report all MUI apps are working as expected now, looking forward to MUI-OWB!
VooDoo

Post by VooDoo »

And here problem is gone, after moving muimaster.library from LIBS directory all is OK no more MUI crashes.. For now that is all :)

Thanx ppl for helping
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

A bug report has been filed to look into a permanent fix for this rogue MUI components problem.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in and helped find the cause!
ExecSG Team Lead
danwood

Post by danwood »

ssolie wrote:A bug report has been filed to look into a permanent fix for this rogue MUI components problem.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in and helped find the cause!
Excellent news, thanks again to everyone who helped as well.
vox

Post by vox »

Solution from AW.net http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/vie ... =14#627049

danwood
Update 3 MUI Issues Possible Fix
Posted on 30-Aug-2011 23:53:33 [ #1 ]

After many hours of trying to solve crashes with many MUI based apps (IBrowse, YAM, SabreMSN, and MUI prefs itself) a few hours in the Amigaworld IRC channel and we sorted it on my system.

This solution may help others users who were suffering from similar, unexplained crashes too. Basically we found out that the version of muimaster.library was an older version resident in RAM to the version in MUI: after some digging it seems I had some older MUI files installed in LIBS:

Now I was baffled, I'd deleted everything related to MUI, configs, ENVARC:Mui sys;mui etc. all restored from update 2/3.

But a MUI directory and the libraries were present in my LIBS: directory. Now, as other users are experiencing the same problem, we can only assume some Installer from some app we have all installed has put these files there, more than likely an update to a MUI class or component. So the solution is to

delete libs:mui#?

then reboot. The system will then use the files from sys:mui instead, which should be current versions! I'm happy to report all MUI apps are working as expected now, looking forward to MUI-OWB!
------------------------------------------
Future MOS user pon SAM460ex
https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja
https://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja
http://socdevelopment.wordpress.com/