Backup on BluRay disc

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
A3000T
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Backup on BluRay disc

Post by A3000T »

Bluray is a nice medium for backups.
BluRay (re)writers have gotten a lot cheaper the last couple of years. Several brands have models that sell for less than 100 Euro. The discs can hold a large amount of data, and they cost as little as 84 Eurocents for a 25GB disc (~3.4cents/GB). I have been using a BluRay writer to make backups on my PC for quite some time now, and it works great! I would like to do the same on my AmigaOne, but BluRay is not supported (yet) on OS4.

Is BluRay support planned for OS4? If it isn't, can I do something to make Hyperion change their mind?

To avoid any misunderstandings: I am talking about reading and writing file files, not playing movies.

Kind regards,

Dennis
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Backup on BluRay disc

Post by Hypex »

We have been experimenting with this in our Amiga club. If you backup files to a Bluray using ISO9660 on your PC OS4 should read them fine. That's what we did. Up to UDF1.5 format should be fine for reading. The CD driver needs to support UDF2-2.5 to read standard Bluray discs. But for backing up purposes it should be fine now to read a backed up BR disc. :-)

As to writing, since FryingPan was open sourced, this is good opportunity to introduce Bluray support to AmigaOS. According to the author writing a support driver to send the Bluray writing commands is trivial! :-D

Perhaps Hyperion will update their DVDRW on the fly support to include Bluray and a new "BRDRW". But using SFS format isn't good for cross platform use. And a writable UDF filesystem would need more work.