SilverGreen Theme problems

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
samo79

SilverGreen Theme problems

Post by samo79 »

Since the first installation of the Update 1 (now i use Update 2 on Sam Flex) i note a strange problem using Origyn Web Browser with SilverGreen Theme, see this grab:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/owbf.png/

This happen quite always if you try to resize the main window using this theme, but does not happen with other programs, so at beginning i asked Joerg thinking about an OWB specific bug but he never able to track down this so i'm not really sure if problems is OWB related only

I also mail the original author of the theme (Tantignone) explaining my problem in details but i never had any reply yet.

Anyone with similar problem ? :|

I note other problems with certain theme but maybe this is not the correct thread to speak about, maybe i will open another one ;)
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: SilverGreen Theme problems

Post by tonyw »

Maybe I'm making a fool of myself (showing my ignorance), but:

What are these themes you are talking about? Where do they come from? How do you select them?
If they are not a part of OS4, then we can't help you in this forum.
cheers
tony
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Well SilverGreen Theme is a part of AmigaOS4 ISO CD, it comes with the Update 1 to demonstate the latest developments in Intuition, read this for more info:

http://codebench.co.uk/ScreenShots/
How do you select them?
Just double click on it and then --> Save, nothing more and nothing less ;)
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

No such problems using OWB 3.32 and this theme here. Also an a Sam-Flex .
I do recall having this at one time though.
Maybe some setting in GUI-Preferences ? or could it be webpage specific ? or OWB prior to 3.32 ?
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Spectre660 wrote:No such problems using OWB 3.32 and this theme here. Also an a Sam-Flex .
I do recall having this at one time though.
Maybe some setting in GUI-Preferences ? or could it be webpage specific ? or OWB prior to 3.32 ?
First, thanks for your test ;)

No i have this problem with all OWB versions i tried (almost latest 10 release) and pratically on any website in general (as you can see in my previews grab it corrupt the content even on the about page)

BTW I'm the author of this about page at the time so im sure it is well written :D

So only certain broken GUI preferences or a bug somewhere remain as possible reasons but as i didn't touch anythings there i presume there is a bug.
Me just installing OS4 and loading the theme so i really don't understand what it can be :|

Maybe Rigo can help here :)
Last edited by samo79 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Af far as my GUI Settings I have Window transparency set to 0 for Active,Inactive and Dragged Windows .
Window refresh = Smart,Gadget Redraw method = Without Clear , Force Synchronus refres of window contents = Yes
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Spectre660 wrote:Af far as my GUI Settings I have Window transparency set to 0 for Active,Inactive and Dragged Windows .
Window refresh = Smart,Gadget Redraw method = Without Clear , Force Synchronus refres of window contents = Yes
Well i have the same preferences here, i just ticked "Force Synchronus refresh of window contents" to set it to yes (was disabled here)
But same problem remain :|
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

We've had a lot of phantom problems "caused by" special themes and GUI settings. I've had several reports of crashes or lockups "in the console" when some theme was selected. In all cases the problems disappeared when the standard Intuition settings were restored. The "console lockups" were always an Intuition deadlock IIRC.

In my case, I have not been able to detect anything wrong (from the console's point of view) because the console simply calls Intuition which applies any special colours or settings without my knowledge. I suspect that some of the themes upset Intuition somehow, but I would not like to guess how or why.

It may be (just a guess) that your theme is responsible for the corruption of the GUI. It probably needs an expert on the way the themes are implemented and the way they work, to be able to find the cause.
cheers
tony
samo79

Post by samo79 »

@tonyw
It may be (just a guess) that your theme is responsible for the corruption of the GUI.
Yep i believe it's pretty obvious at this point, it isn't ? ;)
It probably needs an expert on the way the themes are implemented and the way they work, to be able to find the cause.
This is the reason why i mailed Massimo Tantignone first, he is one of the mantainer of the OS4 GUI and the main author of this SilverGreen Theme too.

And of course as he is an expert in this area i believe he may also help a lot to understand why even other themes have random problems.

Just in case Is it possible to submit an internal OS4 bugreport somewhere explaining the problems in details and point him there ?

mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Took me awhile to find the theme. System>Presets> That's embarrassing.

If I use the center resize button (top right) and then click it again for
full screen I have the same results as you. If I then grab the lower right
corner and drag the size even a little everything goes to normal. Perhaps the
problem is related to this button. Missing refresh command...??
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.