Transfering big files over network

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
hotrod

Transfering big files over network

Post by hotrod »

Today and yesterday I tried to transfer files of size 1-4GB and experienced several lockups of my amigaone. In particular one file at 4GB failed the 2-3 times I tried when it reached 3GB. I neede to reset using the button on the tower (PS/2 keyboard not responsive).

I transfered the files from a Windows 7 machine runing Cerberus FTP Server and pFTP in AmigaOS.

Are there still issues when it comes to big files in AOS 4?

The filesystem I was saving the file to was JXFS.

AOS 4.1, update 2, A1 G4 XE.
afxgroup
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Transfering big files over network

Post by afxgroup »

i'll try to reproduce the problem this evening when i go back home and i'll tell you.
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

Great, thank you :-)
afxgroup
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by afxgroup »

hotrod wrote:Great, thank you :-)
Just copied from my macosx to my A1 a 7GB file without any problem.
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

ok. Was this with update 2 or a later beta of AOS? Did you save the file to a JXFS formated partition? And what server did you use on the mac so that I can try that and see if it makes a difference.

Also, are you using an A1 or a SAM?
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

no problems using Pftp transfering a 4.8gb file from a NAS drive to a JXF partition. On a Sam.

How are your machines connected ? Via a Switch etc ?
Only time I had lockups with ethernet was with a direct connection with a crossed cable using pci gigabit ethernet cards on the Sam and PC.
after installing a gigabit ehernet switch things worked fine.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

I'm using a D-link DIR-655 router and are connected with cables. I bought a ... can of air(?) yesterday and I used it today to clean the CPU cooler. For some reason the dockie "CPUTemp" shows that the temperature has raised! Not that I know if I should trust it or not but...

I did transfer two files just now at 1.4GB each without any lockups and I'm transfering a 3.5GB file just now and it has transfered 1.5GB at the moment so lets see how it turns out. I guess that it's possible that the warm weather and dust could have caused issues, but I don't know.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

I tend to stay away from these kind of dockies as some cause me problems. Only one I have installed is RNetmon .
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

Spectre660 wrote:I tend to stay away from these kind of dockies as some cause me problems. Only one I have installed is RNetmon .
That is too bad because a dockie like that, if working properly, could be usefull. It could tell me when it's time to clean the CPU and what CPU load I get from different programs.

What I can tell is that my system seems to be really stable right now. I do wonder about the stability though and coolin in that case because I got a Zalman cooler for graphicscards that shall be really good and if that isn't enough (that sensetive) what the heck shall I use? My PC and Mac collects dust too but they don't crash that easily.

Also, before I burned my previous CPU (933MHz) it was stable during summer with the standard cooler that came with the A1! I just changed it because of the talk of bad cooling because of lockups when using ethernet while playing sound back in the day. After a couple of changes I managed to burn it as I'm sure that people know if they've read topics at aw.net. Anyway it seemed to handle heat a lot better and it seemed to behave different in some regards.

I managed to get Linux Debian to work stable with DMA on after a tip on a mailing list about compiling your own kernel with certian options with that CPU. That didn't work no more with this CPU.

Anyway... things seems to be really stable at the moment. the 3.5GB file transfered without issues and I'm transfering a 4.3GB now which has just reached 3GB without any issues at all. All seems to be working fine right now.