copying files makes CPU busy

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
hotrod

copying files makes CPU busy

Post by hotrod »

Hello!

I'm just wondering about something that I wrote about over at aw.net and I know that H-J amongst others answered. With some programs disk operations takes 100% CPU time. Now this is according to the CPUTemp docky but often you can see that the OS gets very unresponsive too so I guess it's somehow correct.

It happens with NetSurf, it used to happen with DOpus but the programmer changed something so the issue went away.

What I wonder is if anyone else got this issue, it seems to be only me? Are there any solutions to this, suggestions and whatever?

It isn't a big issue anymore, most things works like it should now. Not using the AmigaOne that much right now I don't remember what other software got this issue. I know that using workbench has always been fine and no issue with Filer either.

Are there different ways to handle disk operations and could there be one way that doesn't work with my hardware perhaps?

It doesn't seem to matter though if I use my sii0680 controller card or my 3xxx SATA controller card.
Last edited by hotrod on Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectre660

Re: copying files makes CPU busy

Post by Spectre660 »

I have just noticed this too.
Trying to back up some files from my System: partition in preparation for a fresh install for Update 3.
having set the Archive bit on all the the included files in OS 4.1 update 2 except preference setting files.
then in a cli or executed from a script :

copy from System:#? to Work:Backup/System/ all Archive clone.

This take up the CPU time.
I also notice that a lot of empty directories are created.
hotrod wrote:Hello!

I'm just wondering about something that I wrote about over at aw.net and I know that H-J amoungt others answered. With some programs disk operations takes 100% CPU time. Now this is according to the CPUTemp docky but often you can see that the OS gets very unresponsive too so I guess it's somehow correct.

It happens with NetSurf, it used to happen with DOpus but the programmer changed something so the issue went away.

What I wonder is if anyone else got this issue, it seems to be only me? Are there any solutions to this, suggestions and whatever?

It isn't a big issue anymore, most things works like it should now. Not using the AmigaOne that much right now I don't remember what other software got this issue. I know that using workbench has always been fine and no issue with Filer either.

Are there different ways to handle disk operations and could there be one way that doesn't work with my hardware perhaps?

It doesn't seem to matter though if I use my sii0680 controller card or my 03xx SATA controller card.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

Good to know I'm not alone with this issue :-) . So the obvious question now would be, has it possibly been fixed for update 3?
afxgroup
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by afxgroup »

Did you have the DMA enabled on your sata controller?
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

@afxgroup

Short answer would be yes.

Long answer:

I checked when I wrote about it at amigaworld.net and I've checked several times after that using idetool and they are all set to the best possible setting using DMA.

On the SII0680 controller I got two harddrives on one cable and two burners on the other cable. On the SII3512 I got one SATA harddrive.

To be honest I haven't checked my master/slave settings since a very long time but I would be supriced if I had set it wrong :-P . I don't use cable select, that's for sure.

Strange thing is that it doesn't matter if I save to the SATA harddrive or one of the PATA harddrives so I guess that the master/slave settings got nothing to do with it anyway. Can't remember when I first noticed this issue, if it was with AOS 4.1 or with update 1. I'm sure I didn't have this issue with 4.0.
afxgroup
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by afxgroup »

it could be depends also from copy buffer. IIRC on update 3 the buffer of copy command should be fixed. But other programs (like DOpus for example) could use their functions to copy files.
In the end. If your DMA settings are ok, the problem should be in the command/prgram are you using.
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

afxgroup wrote:it could be depends also from copy buffer. IIRC on update 3 the buffer of copy command should be fixed. But other programs (like DOpus for example) could use their functions to copy files.
In the end. If your DMA settings are ok, the problem should be in the command/prgram are you using.
Thank you for your answers. I did some more testing now and actually I couldn't reproduce this issue now. My CPU used to get busy if I deleted a bunch of files using DOpus 4 but it doesn't happen now, it is fast as it should be. I did reinstall AOS 4.1 some time ago and something might've changed. The only program that gives me 100% CPU usage right now is Netsurf. Actually it can use lots of CPU time according to CPUTemp but it doesn't slow down like it used to do. I got no idea what's changed but I guess that it's ok to lock this thread for now.

Thank you.