diskdoctor

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific

diskdoctor

Postby JosDuchIt » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:11 pm

Diskdoctor is released with OS3.1.4
Could it be released for those only working with OS4 ?
I have an urgent need for it.
JosDuchIt
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: diskdoctor

Postby Raziel » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:58 pm

I may be wrong, but isn't diskdoctor for FFS floppies/HDDs only?

And FFS is obsolete, so...
If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian. ~ Sir Paul McCartney
-
Did everything just taste purple for a second? ~ Philip J. Fry
-
Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style, ladies vomit when I smile. ~ Dr. John Zoidberg
User avatar
Raziel
 
Posts: 877
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: a story that hasn't been written yet

Re: diskdoctor

Postby JosDuchIt » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:22 pm

The author's view on this here:
http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/v ... 62&forum=3
It seems to be, according to that thread, the only working & available recovery SW (handling modern large harddisks)
The question is in fact addressed to Hyperion: do we have to pay the os3.1.4 price to get hold of diskdoctor?
JosDuchIt
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: diskdoctor

Postby nbache » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:04 am

JosDuchIt wrote:The author's view on this here:
http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/v ... 62&forum=3
It seems to be, according to that thread, the only working & available recovery SW (handling modern large harddisks)
The question is in fact addressed to Hyperion: do we have to pay the os3.1.4 price to get hold of diskdoctor?
If you read the whole thread you refer to, it says that an OS4 version is being worked on.

Best regards,

Niels
User avatar
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 1337
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:25 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: diskdoctor

Postby JosDuchIt » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:55 pm

@nbache,
yes indeed i did read that an OS4.1 is worked upon.
But i guess that tha 68000 diskdoctor wil work allready too on a OS4. install ?
Question is do i have to buy the OS3.1.4 package in order to get hold now of the diskdoctor 68k program ?
JosDuchIt
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: diskdoctor

Postby nbache » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:23 pm

JosDuchIt wrote:@nbache,
yes indeed i did read that an OS4.1 is worked upon.
But i guess that tha 68000 diskdoctor wil work allready too on a OS4. install ?
The way I read it, the 68k version does not run on OS4 yet. You'd have to connect the disk to a 68k system running the 3.1.4 OS and DiskDoctor.

But you'd have to ask Olsen, I'm just guessing.

Best regards,

Niels
User avatar
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 1337
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:25 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: diskdoctor

Postby tonyw » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:06 am

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that FFS2 (as distributed with OS4) uses slightly different disk formats from the old FFS from OS3. A disk partitioned with HDToolBox is incompatible with a disk partitioned with MediaToolbox IIRC.
cheers
tony
User avatar
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:36 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: diskdoctor

Postby nbache » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:28 pm

Quoting olsen from the thread referred to above:

@nbache

> Just because the new DiskDoctor can fix disks using the FFS from OS 3.1, doesn't mean it also knows everything about the ones using the newer FFS found in OS 4.x.

Actually, it does

I started working on what would become the new Disk Doctor when it became apparent that AmigaOS 4 would no longer include a diagnostic, recovery and repair tool for the OFS/FFS/DCFS/LNFS file system flavours. [...]
It's not entirely clear to me from that post whether it would actually repair/diagnose an OS4 FFS2 volume when used under 3.1.4, but it "sort of" sounds like it.

That's why I wrote that one would have to ask olsen specifically.

Best regards,

Niels
User avatar
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 1337
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:25 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: diskdoctor

Postby salass00 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:21 am

From what I've read the AmigaOS 3.1.4 version of diskdoctor only analyses the disk/partition and allows to recover the data from it to another disk. It does not have any sort of repair function yet AFAIK.

DOS/7 AKA LNFS is already supported according to the comment you quoted. If it wasn't there would already be a problem with OS 3.1.4 as the updated FFS added support for long filenames same as in FFS2 used in AmigaOS 4.
User avatar
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:12 pm
Location: Finland

Re: diskdoctor

Postby 328gts » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:46 pm

salass00 wrote:From what I've read the AmigaOS 3.1.4 version of diskdoctor only analyses the disk/partition and allows to recover the data from it to another disk. It does not have any sort of repair function yet AFAIK.

DOS/7 AKA LNFS is already supported according to the comment you quoted. If it wasn't there would already be a problem with OS 3.1.4 as the updated FFS added support for long filenames same as in FFS2 used in AmigaOS 4.


so it should be called backup or recover ' whatever' not 'Doctor' else it would bloody fix/ repair something :roll:
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
User avatar
328gts
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:53 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada


Return to General AmigaOS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron